I'm going to keep adding to this diary as the game progresses. This is a diary that will attempt to show how devastating the loss of Ellis has been.
1) So far the second innng should have been ended on that double play ball. As it was, the runner was barely safe. Ellis turns that quicker.
Result: Harden has thrown 15 extra pitches and fortunately gave up no runs. Ends up getting pulled in the 6th inning with two outs. Should have had 15 pitches left. Gaudin comes in and now has 6 too many pitches before starting the 7th.
2) Jimenez doesn't cover second base on a steal attempt (likely his fault) in the 4th. Result: Missed opportunity for potential out, but he probably would have been safe. Kotsay sacks up HUGE and makes two Gold Glove plays in a row to keep any runs from scoring.
3) Top of the 5th. Not saying Ellis wouldn't have hit into an inning ending double play like Jimenez just did, but it couldn't have been any worse.
4) (sigh) Can someone teach this kid how to turn 2? He puts absolutely nothing on the throw. Anyway, Tigers still alive in the 7th with runners on the corners on what should have been a inning-ending DP. Hope we skate out of this one, too. Kennedy coming in. phew, we got out of it unscathed.
5) Macha has seen enough. Kielty is on deck to bat for Jimenez in the 8th.
6) Mark Kiger officially shits his pants as he makes his MLB debut in 30+ degree weather in game 3 of the ALCS.
7) As it turns out, what a worthless diary this is. Can't do much when you get two hits. Jimenez becomes a non-factor....Along with Kendall, Kotsay, Bradley, THOMAS, Payton, Swisher, Chavez and Scutaro.