Thursday night was game 3 of my partial-season ticket package to the RiverCats. Here are some of my impressions from the 2-1 RiverCat win.
- John Rheinecker pitched very well again. He's got something close to 1.75 ERA with a 1.00 WHIP in his 5 starts. He's also got one of those nasty left-hander "snap" pickoff to first that picked one guy off and nearly picked a second one off.
- Matt Watson homered and just missed another off the wall going 2-4.
- Shawn Garrett can just plain hit. I've seen three games and he is a combined 8-11. I'm not sure what he's looked like in other games, but he's hitting .321 overall.
- Chris Mabeus blew the shutout in the ninth giving up a leadoff homer, but the Rivercats loaded the bases in the ninth and won on the ever-exciting walk-off BB. Harikkala has been pretty dominant in the setup role by the way.
- On a personal note...Jermaine Clark is an all-around good guy. He was chatting it up with a bunch of us during the pre-game warmups. (our seets are right along the wall behind third base.) Among other things, he joked with me that since the A's had the day off he was betting the A's "big-wigs" were probably in town so he would either do something really special or something really ugly (he ended up doing neither...he hada very quiet night)
- Well my scouting career takes about a 2 week break before my next game on May 11th.