This will be the biggest media story of the year because it involves celebrities, drugs, and sports. The American people will eat up this scandal and the media will not hesitate to run it incessantly. The election is over, citizens have decided not to care about Iraq anymore, and Scott Peterson was found guilty. America will eat this up.
- The story will continue to develop: Jason Giambi is just the tip of the iceberg. The reality is that there are many more players involved and the possibility of a lengthy legal process. Although the Grand Jury investigation is secret, a regular criminal trial will not be. Remember: this case is not about getting the players, it is about getting BALCO and Anderson. I am sure that many other players have received similar immunity deals and have their own stories. The Chronicle had one leak because of its physical proximity to the proceedings and potentially because of some localized Giambi connection. There are many other stories out there.
- Who lied?: This could be the kicker. Giambi was smart legally, taking steps intended to avoid perjury charges. If others lied, it will come out. Probably big names. Probably over a long time period. Probably followed by perjury/obstruction of justice charges.
- BONDS: The HR record and a guy the media (and fans) love to hate.
- Drama, Drama, Drama: What other big names will come out? How will the Yankees react? What players will get scared and try to cover their ass? How widespread is the steroid issue in MLB? Remember that Giambi still has to go on the road with the Yanks and visit city after city where he will be the center of media attention.
- MLB will HAVE to react: This is out of their hands now. If Selig and crew do not take action, they risk a public who will be livid about baseballÂ's inaction to what the media will portray as a very serious problem. MLBÂ's reaction will simply be an entire new avenue for the story. Stern set the tone this year with swift, harsh punishment. Selig will follow and not take this lightly.
- Congress will react: Hearings with pissed off, media-hungry politicians.